There’s a lot of buzz about mobile readiness lately, and for good reason. Mobile continues to trend high as the primary device for viewing and engaging with emails, so ensuring that your content looks great and functions well on mobile is really important.
What does it mean to be mobile ready? Don’t make the common mistake of reducing mobile readiness to creative optimization for mobile. It’s so much more than that! While emails are designed to elicit a click, the subscriber experience doesn’t end there. Ensuring that the landing experience flows seamlessly from the mobile optimized email is crucial to ultimate conversion success. The ability to attribute those conversions to the appropriate channel requires that data flow through the entire subscriber journey. To that end, invest time getting familiar with and creating a cohesive cross-channel tag management strategy. You’ll need to optimize these tags to pass data through to your mobile website or app, and these can be very different depending on what platforms and vendors you use.
Things to keep in mind:
- Design for mobile first if that is where your readers will most likely be opening.
- Maintain the mobile-first experience through the click – make sure your landing page is also optimized for mobile.
- Consider your tags. Create, document, and fully adopt a naming convention that can be used across channels and campaigns to give a holistic view of content and campaign performance. Make sure these tags stay with subscribers throughout their entire experience.
- Don’t forget about micro-conversions. Not every email has a goal of getting an immediate sale, so be sure to configure tagging and tracking for micro-conversions as well as macro.
- Don’t force it. If your app is buggy or doesn’t provide the experience that you want to deliver, revert to your mobile-optimized site. The best landing destination is the one that delivers the best experience for your customers.
Speaking of vendors, there are many that will help you get mobile ready. From native tools within your ESP to third party solutions, there’s a wide array of options that can help you ensure your mobile experience is seamless and beautiful. The Relevancy Group has done a lot of the initial work in identifying each solution’s capabilities to help narrow down the field for brands on the path to mobile perfection and you can review their findings in their downloadable report found here. You can also catch the highlights from their research in our recent webinar with Branch and The Relevancy Group in this link.