The world of email is always changing. The latest update? Google’s promotions tab updates. In an effort to create more value for end users, Google has re-designed the promotions tab so that it is more visually appealing, more relevant, and customizable.
Currently, Google is one of the biggest and most important inbox providers worldwide with over 1.5 billion active users. In fact, SendGrid’s 2018 Global Email Benchmark Report names Gmail the most popular inbox provider in 22 of the top 25 countries.
The more imagery based content speaks to consumers faster and more clearly than ever before. Using machine learning, Google serves the best promotions first to enhance customer experiences. These ‘top’ deals will be served first with less enticing promotions further down, and will vary based on each user. Ensuring your brand is a top deal will be critical to have your message reach the end consumer.
Here are some of the new features of the Google Promotions Tab:
1. Bundles- Similar style and type promotions will be grouped together.
2. Single Image Preview- Think of this as a preheader image, a sneak peek into the email itself. This single image preview will give marketers a chance to grab the attention of subscribers more effectively than a subject line or preheader ever could.
3. Deal and Discount Code Badges- The green deal badge and the discount code make it easy for consumers to sort through the best promotions. Testing different offers such as “15% off” versus “Free Shipping” may become the new subject line test.
4. Expiration Dates- Creating a sense of urgency has never been easier. Urgency causes consumers to act more quickly, often because the consumer doesn’t want to miss out on a deal. Ultimately, this urgency prompts more conversions. Expiration dates also allow for multiple opportunities for your deal to appear in the ‘top’ deals – once when the email deploys and again when the deal is expiring.
5. Custom Logos- Since customers see your brand across all channels, creating consistency is key. Having your brand’s logo creates consistency.
All of this information will be readily available to subscribers, before they even open your email. Open rates may decrease since so much relevant information can be viewed in the inbox, but, if all goes right, conversions will increase due to this update.
Since 2013, the Google promotions tab has been changing the way email marketers communicate with subscribers. Every update has enhanced customer experience and added new strategies for companies.
The new Google promotions tab update is live for mobile app users both on iPhone and Android. Developers at Google have put together guides and references for the new promos tab here. Look out for future updates early next year.
Want to learn more? Watch Jordan Grossman’s announcement about the new Google promotions tab here.